2 – 4 people
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ tsp Bi carb soda
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 egg
- 120ml milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 20gm Lurpak Salted butter, melted
- Cobram Estate Classic EVOO for cooking
BRAISED GARLIC TOMATOES
- 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Classic EVOO
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 350 gm mixed cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- 12 picked basil leaves
- 120gm goats cheese
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and bicarb soda, season with a little pinch of salt and pepper and mix to combine. Create a well in the centre of the flour. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, vinegar butter together, add the chopped basil and pour into the well of the flour. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat olive oil in a large frypan over a medium heat and add the garlic. Stir continuously for half a minute to avoid burning. Add the tomatoes and herbs, season with salt and pepper and toss through to combine. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6-8 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to soften slightly. Remove from heat and set aside while you make the pikelets.
- Heat a little oil in a pan over medium heat. Drop large spoonfuls of batter into the heated pan – they should spread out to 7-8cm discs on their own. Cook pikelets until bubbles start to form on the top side, flip over and cook for another minute. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Add oil back to the pan for each batch of pikelets made.
- When all pikelets been made, place 1 Tbsp oil into the pan and return to a medium heat. Fry off the picked basil leaves until translucent and crispy. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- To assemble, place a serve of pikelets on each plate (2-3 each), spoon over braised tomatoes, crumble over the goats cheese and top with toasted pine nuts and fried basil leaves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Pinot Grigio or Vermentino.
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 x 230g Coles Finest Sirloin steaks 1 tablespoon Cobram Estate EVOO 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into noodles 2 red shallots (French ), finely sliced ½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves ½ cup...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups leftover cooked rice 2 Spanish chorizo, thickly sliced 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 chicken thigh cutlets, bone in, skin on 2 red onions, thickly sliced 2 large red capsicums,...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x 400g bag Birds Eye Sweet Potato 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium sized chicken breast, trimmed 180g Jalna Lactose Free Greek...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 Coles Ocean Barramundi Fillets, sliced into ‘spoonful size’ pieces 1 Onion, diced 1 Cinnamon Quill 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced 1 birdseye Chilli, sliced lengthways Coriander Stem/root, diced 1 ½...
RECIPE BY: Chef Kinsan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 150g Hakubaku organic soba noodles (cooked) 30g carrot (thinly julienned into long strips) 1 lebanese cucumber (thinly julienned into long strips) ½ cup edamame (cooked and remove beans from pod) 1 handful...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Coles Fettuccini 250g Philadelphia Cream Cheese 100g Coles Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving 1 Brown onion, diced 2 Garlic cloves, diced 125g baby Spinach Salt 1.5 tbsp Pepper ½ bunch parsley,...