Steak Sandwich with Burnt Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Cobram Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Coles Beef Porterhouse Steak
- 1 Turkish roll
- 2 leaves baby cos
- 1 small brown onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 medium bulb beetroot, peeled and julienned
- ½ cup malt vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ water
Burnt butter hollandaise
- 200 gm unsalted butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. hot English mustard
- Pinch sea salt
Burnt Butter Hollandaise:
- Melt butter down in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until butter becomes foamy and caramelised with a nutty aroma, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, vinegar, mustard and a pinch of sea salt and whisk together until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle burnt butter into egg mixture, whisking continuously to emulsify. Consistency should resemble mayonnaise, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- In a small saucepan, add vinegar, sugar, water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat once sugar has completely dissolved. Pour over julienned beetroot; cover completely and mix to combine. Set aside for approximately 10 minutes. Strain off.
- In a frypan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions and cumin seeds and cook until caramelised. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Season steak generously with sea salt. Return frypan to a medium high heat. When pan is hot, add steak and cook one side until caramelised, approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn steak over and cook for a further 2 minutes until medium. Rest steak off the heat for 3-4 minutes. Slice into 1 cm strips.
- Preheat oven to 220C. Cut Turkish bread in half and place cut side down in frypan to soak up juices. Place in oven and heat until slightly toasted.
- Assemble sandwich with a generous spread of hollandaise on the base, followed by caramelised onions, steak, pickled beets, baby cos and top of Turkish roll.
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 1/2 cups almond meal 1/4 cup rolled oats 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp Coles cinnamon 2 large ripe bananas, mashed 2 eggs, lightly beaten 1/4 cup Jalna Greek yoghurt 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2...
RECIPE BY:Kylie MillarSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:300g flour75g Lurpak Slightly Salted butter75g grated cheddar cheese50g vegemiteColes cling wrapMETHOD:Place all ingredients, except the water, into a food processor and blitz until it resembles fine...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses Juice of 1 lemon 1/3 cup Cobram Estate Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil Salt 1 bunch mint, picked 1 bunch parsley, picked 1 bunch coriander, picked 1 red onion, diced 1 bunch...
View Jess' special Christmas recipe at The Cook's Christmas Pantry: Related...