Steve Flood w. Matt Sinclair
2 – 4 people
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1.5cm dice
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 75ml water
- 150g plain flour
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 100g rolled oats
- 125g caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- 65g unsalted butter, cut into small dice
- 1 tbsp water
- 300ml rum & raisin ice-cream
- 4 sheets of shortcrust pastry, frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the apple, lemon zest and juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook for 15–20 minutes until the apple softens. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too thick and is catching in the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the pastry from the freezer, separate the sheets and allow to few minutes for the pastry to soften. Line four 8cm tart tins with the pastry. Trim the edges, prick the base with a fork and blind-bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the crumble, combine the flour, butter, sugar, oats and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and, using your fingertips, work the ingredients into a coarse crumble. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. (baked at the same time as the pastry).
- For the butterscotch sauce, put the sugar into a heavy-based saucepan with 1 tbsp water and melt over low heat, tilting the pan occasionally so the sugar melts evenly. Increase the heat to medium and cook, without stirring, until it turns into a golden-brown caramel. Slowly pour in the cream, being careful as the hot caramel will spit. Turn the heat to low and let the caramel dissolve slowly into the cream. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, a few pieces at a time.
- Spoon in the apple filling and sprinkle on the crumble.
- Serve the tarts with a scoop of rum and raisin ice cream on top and drizzle with butterscotch.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Botrytis Semillon.
Summer Fruit and Almond Free Form Tart
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar 125gm LURPAK unsalted butter, chopped 2 eggs ¼ cup almond meal 700gm firm but ripe stone fruit, thinly sliced** 2 Tbsp raw or demerara sugar Icing sugar and cream...
Warm Peach Pudding
RECIPE BY: Mel Leong SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: BATTER: 125g butter, softened 125g caster sugar 2 large free range eggs 125g self raising flour Pinch of salt SYRUP: 2 tablespoons brown sugar 120ml water 1 vanilla pod METHOD: Preheat oven...
Burnt Honey Panna Cotta
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 4gm gelatine sheets 100ml cream 70gm caster sugar 1 vanilla pod, halved, seeds scraped 300ml buttermilk, room temperature ½ cup honey Juice of 1 mandarin ½ cup shelled pistachios, toasted, roughly...
Burnt Spanish Cheese Cake
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature 4 large eggs 1 ½ cup caster sugar 300ml Coles thickened cream 1 tablespoon plain flour 1 tablespoon lemon zest 2 tablespoons lemon juice icing sugar...
Carrot and Coconut Muffins
RECIPE BY: Olivia Wells SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 280gm Self raising flour 150gm brown sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 200gm grated carrot 150 gm shredded coconut 2 eggs 200ml Cobram Estate Classic EVOO ¼ cup coconut cream COCONUT CREAM CHEESE: 150gm Philadelphia...
Ginger Beer Scones
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream 125ml (1/2 cup) ginger beer 55gm (1/4 cup) caster sugar 1 tsp Coles ground ginger Pinch salt 300gm (2cups) Coles Self Raising Flour 2 Tbsp milk METHOD: Preheat oven to...