Honey Semolina Cake
- 120 gm Ballantyne Rolled Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 cups fine yellow semolina
- ½ cup Coles Finest Red Gum Honey
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 inch piece ginger, sliced
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 30cm x 20cm baking tray and line with baking paper. Lightly grease baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Slowly add eggs yolks one at a time and carefully pour in milk. Add vanilla and mix to combine. The batter should look slightly separated, which is okay at this point.
- In a separate bowl, add semolina, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix to combine. On a low speed, gently add dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold into cake batter, careful not to knock out any air.
- Pour batter into lined tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Whilst cake is in the oven combine sugar, honey, water, ginger and zest in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove ginger pieces.
- Pour syrup over cake as soon as it is removed from the oven.
View Jess' special Christmas recipe at The Cook's Christmas Pantry: Related...
View Matt's special Christmas recipe at The Cook's Christmas Pantry: Related...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 punnets of Coles Eureka blueberries 1 tub of Jalna Greek yoghurt honey GRANOLA: 2 cups of rolled oats ½ cup of sunflower kernels ½ cup dried cranberries ½ cup roasted almonds ½ cup coconut flakes ½...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 65g honey 18g bi-carb soda 415 g caster Sugar 150g glucose Syrup 70g water METHOD: Line a 20cm-baking tray with baking paper. Pour honey, caster sugar, glucose syrup and water into a large pot and...
RECIPE BY:Georgia BarnesSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:2 cups preserved morello cherries2 cups morello cherry preserving syrup2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries600ml Coles thickened cream200g Coles dark chocolate, finely chopped50g Coles dark chocolate,...
RECIPE BY:Michael WeldonSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:1 punnet of Coles Taste n See strawberries, quartered¼ pineapple, chopped into 1-2 cm wide slices½ cup Lurpak salted butter1 sheet of puff pastry½ cup sugar½ cup cream METHOD:Preheat fan-forced oven to 180...