Saffron Poached Pears & Dukkah
- 6 Small William pears
- 1L water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 3 star anise
- 2cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1 orange peel, all pith removed
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Peel and core all pears, ensuring the stems remain intact. Cut a small amount off the base of each pear so that they can stay upright.
- In a medium saucepan add water, sugar, spices, peel and ginger and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Add the pears and reduce heat to a light simmer. Turn the pears often and poach for 30-40 minutes, until tender when pricked with a skewer.
- Remove pears gently and set aside. Return poaching liquid to a medium heat and reduce by 2/3, into a light syrup. Strain and set aside.
- In a shallow baking tray, add pistachios and hazelnuts and toast in the oven at 180C for approximately 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from tray and set aside to cool.
- In a mortar and pestle add cumin seeds and fennel seeds and pound to release aroma. Transfer to a small bowl and add sesame seeds and salt, mix to combine.
- Transfer nuts to a mortar and pestle and grind into a coarse crumb. Add to other ingredients and mix well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- To assemble, divide pears between 6 shallow bowls, spoon over a Tbsp. of syrup and sprinkle with dukkah.
- Add a scoop of ice cream and serve immediately.
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 punnets of Coles Eureka blueberries 1 tub of Jalna Greek yoghurt honey GRANOLA: 2 cups of rolled oats ½ cup of sunflower kernels ½ cup dried cranberries ½ cup roasted almonds ½ cup coconut flakes ½...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 65g honey 18g bi-carb soda 415 g caster Sugar 150g glucose Syrup 70g water METHOD: Line a 20cm-baking tray with baking paper. Pour honey, caster sugar, glucose syrup and water into a large pot and...
RECIPE BY:Georgia BarnesSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:2 cups preserved morello cherries2 cups morello cherry preserving syrup2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries600ml Coles thickened cream200g Coles dark chocolate, finely chopped50g Coles dark chocolate,...
RECIPE BY:Michael WeldonSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:1 punnet of Coles Taste n See strawberries, quartered¼ pineapple, chopped into 1-2 cm wide slices½ cup Lurpak salted butter1 sheet of puff pastry½ cup sugar½ cup cream METHOD:Preheat fan-forced oven to 180...
RECIPE BY:Courtney RoulstonSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:250g Lurpak unsalted butter4 tablespoons cocoa powder2 cups caster sugar1 cup hot water1 ½ cups plain flour¼ cup self raising flour2 Coles eggs, slightly beaten1 tablespoon instant coffee1/3 cup whiskey1...
RECIPE BY:Matt SinclairSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:2 eggs1 cup caster sugar3/4 cup Cobram Estate Light EVOO1 tsp vanilla extract2 cups grated carrot1 1/4 cup plain flour1 tsp baking soda3 tsp ground cinnamon3 tsp mixed spice1/2 tsp salt1/3 cup toasted...