Saffron Poached Pears & Dukkah
- 6 Small William pears
- 1L water
- ½ cup caster sugar
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 3 star anise
- 2cm piece ginger, sliced
- 1 orange peel, all pith removed
- ¼ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, peeled
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Peel and core all pears, ensuring the stems remain intact. Cut a small amount off the base of each pear so that they can stay upright.
- In a medium saucepan add water, sugar, spices, peel and ginger and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Add the pears and reduce heat to a light simmer. Turn the pears often and poach for 30-40 minutes, until tender when pricked with a skewer.
- Remove pears gently and set aside. Return poaching liquid to a medium heat and reduce by 2/3, into a light syrup. Strain and set aside.
- In a shallow baking tray, add pistachios and hazelnuts and toast in the oven at 180C for approximately 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from tray and set aside to cool.
- In a mortar and pestle add cumin seeds and fennel seeds and pound to release aroma. Transfer to a small bowl and add sesame seeds and salt, mix to combine.
- Transfer nuts to a mortar and pestle and grind into a coarse crumb. Add to other ingredients and mix well to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- To assemble, divide pears between 6 shallow bowls, spoon over a Tbsp. of syrup and sprinkle with dukkah.
- Add a scoop of ice cream and serve immediately.
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar 125gm LURPAK unsalted butter, chopped 2 eggs ¼ cup almond meal 700gm firm but ripe stone fruit, thinly sliced** 2 Tbsp raw or demerara sugar Icing sugar and cream...
RECIPE BY: Mel Leong SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: BATTER: 125g butter, softened 125g caster sugar 2 large free range eggs 125g self raising flour Pinch of salt SYRUP: 2 tablespoons brown sugar 120ml water 1 vanilla pod METHOD: Preheat oven...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 4gm gelatine sheets 100ml cream 70gm caster sugar 1 vanilla pod, halved, seeds scraped 300ml buttermilk, room temperature ½ cup honey Juice of 1 mandarin ½ cup shelled pistachios, toasted, roughly...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature 4 large eggs 1 ½ cup caster sugar 300ml Coles thickened cream 1 tablespoon plain flour 1 tablespoon lemon zest 2 tablespoons lemon juice icing sugar...
RECIPE BY: Olivia Wells SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 280gm Self raising flour 150gm brown sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 200gm grated carrot 150 gm shredded coconut 2 eggs 200ml Cobram Estate Classic EVOO ¼ cup coconut cream COCONUT CREAM CHEESE: 150gm Philadelphia...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream 125ml (1/2 cup) ginger beer 55gm (1/4 cup) caster sugar 1 tsp Coles ground ginger Pinch salt 300gm (2cups) Coles Self Raising Flour 2 Tbsp milk METHOD: Preheat oven to...