2 – 4 people
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup Jalna Greek yoghurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup Coles self raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 120ml Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 500ml full-cream milk
- 2 star anise – or 4-5 if stronger flavour is preferred
- 85gm caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper, leaving a 2cm overhang lengthways on each side.
- Place the sugar and eggs into a stand mixer and whisk on a medium speed until incorporated. Add in the yoghurt, zest and vanilla and whisk to combine. Remove from mixer and sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Gradually pour in the olive oil, stirring continuously until fully incorporated. Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. A skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean. Allow to cool in the tin slightly before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the anglaise. Toast the star anise in a medium saucepan, over a low-medium heat, and then add the milk. Bring to a very light simmer, then remove from heat. Allow to steep and cool for 10 minutes.
- Make an ice bath by adding ice cubes and a small amount of cold water into a large mixing bowl and rest a smaller mixing bowl in the ice. Place a fine sieve over the top.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Gradually pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Once combined, transfer entire mixture back into the saucepan and return to a medium heat. Stir continuously until the custard begins to thicken and coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Strain the custard into the bowl in the ice bath. Add the orange zest and stir to mix through and cool the anglaise.
- Serve cake with warm or chilled anglaise.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Late Harvest Semillon.
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar 125gm LURPAK unsalted butter, chopped 2 eggs ¼ cup almond meal 700gm firm but ripe stone fruit, thinly sliced** 2 Tbsp raw or demerara sugar Icing sugar and cream...
RECIPE BY: Mel Leong SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: BATTER: 125g butter, softened 125g caster sugar 2 large free range eggs 125g self raising flour Pinch of salt SYRUP: 2 tablespoons brown sugar 120ml water 1 vanilla pod METHOD: Preheat oven...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 4gm gelatine sheets 100ml cream 70gm caster sugar 1 vanilla pod, halved, seeds scraped 300ml buttermilk, room temperature ½ cup honey Juice of 1 mandarin ½ cup shelled pistachios, toasted, roughly...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature 4 large eggs 1 ½ cup caster sugar 300ml Coles thickened cream 1 tablespoon plain flour 1 tablespoon lemon zest 2 tablespoons lemon juice icing sugar...
RECIPE BY: Olivia Wells SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 280gm Self raising flour 150gm brown sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 200gm grated carrot 150 gm shredded coconut 2 eggs 200ml Cobram Estate Classic EVOO ¼ cup coconut cream COCONUT CREAM CHEESE: 150gm Philadelphia...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream 125ml (1/2 cup) ginger beer 55gm (1/4 cup) caster sugar 1 tsp Coles ground ginger Pinch salt 300gm (2cups) Coles Self Raising Flour 2 Tbsp milk METHOD: Preheat oven to...