2 – 4 people
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup Jalna Greek yoghurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup Coles self raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 120ml Cobram Estate Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 500ml full-cream milk
- 2 star anise – or 4-5 if stronger flavour is preferred
- 85gm caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper, leaving a 2cm overhang lengthways on each side.
- Place the sugar and eggs into a stand mixer and whisk on a medium speed until incorporated. Add in the yoghurt, zest and vanilla and whisk to combine. Remove from mixer and sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine. Gradually pour in the olive oil, stirring continuously until fully incorporated. Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes. A skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean. Allow to cool in the tin slightly before lifting out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the anglaise. Toast the star anise in a medium saucepan, over a low-medium heat, and then add the milk. Bring to a very light simmer, then remove from heat. Allow to steep and cool for 10 minutes.
- Make an ice bath by adding ice cubes and a small amount of cold water into a large mixing bowl and rest a smaller mixing bowl in the ice. Place a fine sieve over the top.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Gradually pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Once combined, transfer entire mixture back into the saucepan and return to a medium heat. Stir continuously until the custard begins to thicken and coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Strain the custard into the bowl in the ice bath. Add the orange zest and stir to mix through and cool the anglaise.
- Serve cake with warm or chilled anglaise.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Late Harvest Semillon.
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 1/2 cups almond meal 1/4 cup rolled oats 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp Coles cinnamon 2 large ripe bananas, mashed 2 eggs, lightly beaten 1/4 cup Jalna Greek yoghurt 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/2...
View Jess' special Christmas recipe at The Cook's Christmas Pantry: Related...
View Matt's special Christmas recipe at The Cook's Christmas Pantry: Related...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 punnets of Coles Eureka blueberries 1 tub of Jalna Greek yoghurt honey GRANOLA: 2 cups of rolled oats ½ cup of sunflower kernels ½ cup dried cranberries ½ cup roasted almonds ½ cup coconut flakes ½...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 65g honey 18g bi-carb soda 415 g caster Sugar 150g glucose Syrup 70g water METHOD: Line a 20cm-baking tray with baking paper. Pour honey, caster sugar, glucose syrup and water into a large pot and...
RECIPE BY:Georgia BarnesSERVING SIZE:2 - 4 peopleINGREDIENTS:2 cups preserved morello cherries2 cups morello cherry preserving syrup2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries600ml Coles thickened cream200g Coles dark chocolate, finely chopped50g Coles dark chocolate,...