2 – 4 people
- 1kg Coles fresh green/raw prawns (from the Deli)
- 600ml Cobram Estate olive oil to fry
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 cups potato starch
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Lemon cheeks to serve
- ½ bunch coriander leaves to serve
Salt and Pepper Seasoning :
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- To make the salt and pepper seasoning, combine all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle, grind until a fine powder.
- Remove the heads from the prawns and take out the intestine track.
- Fill a large wok or pan 1/3 full with olive oil and heat to 170-180 degrees C.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then add the prawns to the egg. Using your hands, work the whites into all the prawns.
- Gradually add in the potato starch, until the prawns look dry, shake off any excess flour and cook the prawns, in the hot oil. Using a slotted spoon, remove any small pieces of batter that rise to the surface. Cook the prawns in batches for 2 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Drain the oil from the pan, reserving 1 tablespoon of oil, Place pan back over a high heat. Add the spring onion, chilli and garlic, toss to combine, then add the prawns, sprinkling over a little of the seasoning as you toss.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and coriander leaves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Semillon or Verdelho.
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x Coles Penne Rigate 500g 1 x Coles Hot Smoked Salmon fillet 1 x ZoOSh Smoked Salmon dip ½ x Red onion, thinly sliced ½ jar Coles baby Capers ½ Dill bunch, roughly chopped (save a few sprigs for...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 700g baby new potatoes, boiled and diced 2/3 cup tablespoons crème fraiche 1 lemon, zest and juice ½ bunch dill, plus extra to serve 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed 4 red radish, thinly sliced Sea salt...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 Ham Hock 2.5 cups Yellow Split Peas 2 large brown onions, finely chopped 3 large carrots, grated 1 Litre Massel Salt Reduced stock Water Salt and Pepper METHOD: In a large stock pot or saucepan place...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: Cobram Estate EVOO for frying 8 medium squid hoods (750gm) ½ cup rice flour 1 Tbsp sea salt 1 Tbsp white pepper 2 tsp cracked black pepper 1 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional) Lime wedges to serve 2 egg...
RECIPE BY: Leslie Chan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 350g rice (cooked) 120g pork (diced) Cobram Estate EVOO 50g pumpkin (diced) 2 eggs (beaten) 2 pcs Jade Phoenix shiitake mushrooms (soaked & diced) 75g prawns (deveined & diced) 50g scallops (diced)...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 3 tbsp butter 2 clove garlic, grated 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves 2 King brown mushrooms, sliced 200gm Swiss brown (or button) mushrooms, sliced 100gm Oyster mushrooms, roughly torn Salt 400gm tagliatelle...