2 – 4 people
- 1kg Coles fresh green/raw prawns (from the Deli)
- 600ml Cobram Estate olive oil to fry
- 1 egg white
- 1-2 cups potato starch
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- Lemon cheeks to serve
- ½ bunch coriander leaves to serve
Salt and Pepper Seasoning :
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- To make the salt and pepper seasoning, combine all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle, grind until a fine powder.
- Remove the heads from the prawns and take out the intestine track.
- Fill a large wok or pan 1/3 full with olive oil and heat to 170-180 degrees C.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then add the prawns to the egg. Using your hands, work the whites into all the prawns.
- Gradually add in the potato starch, until the prawns look dry, shake off any excess flour and cook the prawns, in the hot oil. Using a slotted spoon, remove any small pieces of batter that rise to the surface. Cook the prawns in batches for 2 minutes, or until just cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Drain the oil from the pan, reserving 1 tablespoon of oil, Place pan back over a high heat. Add the spring onion, chilli and garlic, toss to combine, then add the prawns, sprinkling over a little of the seasoning as you toss.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and coriander leaves.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Semillon or Verdelho.
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 x 230g Coles Finest Sirloin steaks 1 tablespoon Cobram Estate EVOO 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into noodles 2 red shallots (French ), finely sliced ½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves ½ cup...
Spanish Chorizo Traybake
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups leftover cooked rice 2 Spanish chorizo, thickly sliced 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 chicken thigh cutlets, bone in, skin on 2 red onions, thickly sliced 2 large red capsicums,...
Sweet Potato & Chicken Salad
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x 400g bag Birds Eye Sweet Potato 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium sized chicken breast, trimmed 180g Jalna Lactose Free Greek...
Fijian Fish Curry
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 Coles Ocean Barramundi Fillets, sliced into ‘spoonful size’ pieces 1 Onion, diced 1 Cinnamon Quill 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced 1 birdseye Chilli, sliced lengthways Coriander Stem/root, diced 1 ½...
Japanese Soba Noodle Salad
RECIPE BY: Chef Kinsan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 150g Hakubaku organic soba noodles (cooked) 30g carrot (thinly julienned into long strips) 1 lebanese cucumber (thinly julienned into long strips) ½ cup edamame (cooked and remove beans from pod) 1 handful...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Coles Fettuccini 250g Philadelphia Cream Cheese 100g Coles Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving 1 Brown onion, diced 2 Garlic cloves, diced 125g baby Spinach Salt 1.5 tbsp Pepper ½ bunch parsley,...