2 – 4 people
- 1.45kg piece Coles corned beef
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 onions, roughly sliced
- 1 whole head garlic, sliced in half
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Coles plain flour
- 2 cups corned beef cooking liquor
- 2/3 cup thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon Coles Dijon mustard
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup chives
- Place the corned beef into a large pot and cover with cold water. Place the pot onto a medium heat and add in the bay leaves, peppercorns, onions, garlic, vinegar and sugar. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-2 ½ hours, skimming any impurities off the surface as it cooks.
- Meanwhile place the cabbage and onion into as non-reactive bowl and massage in the sea salt. Heat the vinegar, sugar and ½ cup water up in a saucepan over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the cabbage and leave for 20 minutes to pickle.
- Place the butter into a small saucepan over a medium heat to melt. Add in the flour and stir for 1 minute to toast the flour. Ladle in the cooking liquor bit by bit into the flour and whisk until smooth. Add in the cream, mustard and herbs and stir until combined. Check for seasoning, remove from the heat and blitz using a stick blender until green and smooth.
- Drain the cabbage from the pickling liquid.
- To serve, place the pickled cabbage onto a serving plate. Top with a few slices of the corned beef and spoon over the green sauce.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Chardonnay or Pinot Noir
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 x 230g Coles Finest Sirloin steaks 1 tablespoon Cobram Estate EVOO 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into noodles 2 red shallots (French ), finely sliced ½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves ½ cup...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups leftover cooked rice 2 Spanish chorizo, thickly sliced 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 chicken thigh cutlets, bone in, skin on 2 red onions, thickly sliced 2 large red capsicums,...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x 400g bag Birds Eye Sweet Potato 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium sized chicken breast, trimmed 180g Jalna Lactose Free Greek...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 Coles Ocean Barramundi Fillets, sliced into ‘spoonful size’ pieces 1 Onion, diced 1 Cinnamon Quill 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced 1 birdseye Chilli, sliced lengthways Coriander Stem/root, diced 1 ½...
RECIPE BY: Chef Kinsan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 150g Hakubaku organic soba noodles (cooked) 30g carrot (thinly julienned into long strips) 1 lebanese cucumber (thinly julienned into long strips) ½ cup edamame (cooked and remove beans from pod) 1 handful...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Coles Fettuccini 250g Philadelphia Cream Cheese 100g Coles Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving 1 Brown onion, diced 2 Garlic cloves, diced 125g baby Spinach Salt 1.5 tbsp Pepper ½ bunch parsley,...