2 – 4 people
- 2 Tbsp Cobram Estate Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Pancetta, diced
- ½ tsp chopped rosemary leaves
- ½ tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 180g pearl barley
- 2 Litre Massel Salt reduced chicken stock
- ½ cup Coles grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion and garlic, stir to coat in oil for 1-2 minutes and add the pancetta and herbs. Stir though and cook until onions are translucent. Add the carrot, celery and barley and stir through to combine. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring often. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer with the lid on for 45-50 minutes, or until barley becomes soft. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, add 1 Tbsp of parmesan to the baking tray and spread out into a circle. Repeat with remaining cheese, leaving ½ inch between each. Bake in the oven for 3-5 minutes until golden and crisp. Cool before serving.
- Divide soup into serving bowls and serve with parmesan crisps.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Sangiovese – match the sweet and smokey bacon and the earthiness of the pearl parley.
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 x 230g Coles Finest Sirloin steaks 1 tablespoon Cobram Estate EVOO 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into noodles 2 red shallots (French ), finely sliced ½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves ½ cup...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups leftover cooked rice 2 Spanish chorizo, thickly sliced 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 chicken thigh cutlets, bone in, skin on 2 red onions, thickly sliced 2 large red capsicums,...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x 400g bag Birds Eye Sweet Potato 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium sized chicken breast, trimmed 180g Jalna Lactose Free Greek...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 Coles Ocean Barramundi Fillets, sliced into ‘spoonful size’ pieces 1 Onion, diced 1 Cinnamon Quill 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced 1 birdseye Chilli, sliced lengthways Coriander Stem/root, diced 1 ½...
RECIPE BY: Chef Kinsan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 150g Hakubaku organic soba noodles (cooked) 30g carrot (thinly julienned into long strips) 1 lebanese cucumber (thinly julienned into long strips) ½ cup edamame (cooked and remove beans from pod) 1 handful...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Coles Fettuccini 250g Philadelphia Cream Cheese 100g Coles Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving 1 Brown onion, diced 2 Garlic cloves, diced 125g baby Spinach Salt 1.5 tbsp Pepper ½ bunch parsley,...