2 – 4 people
- Cobram Estate EVOO for frying
- 8 medium squid hoods (750gm)
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp white pepper
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Lime wedges to serve
- 2 egg whites
SWEET CHILLI DIPPER:
- 1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cm piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- Pre-heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy based pan to 180C.
- Ensure squid hoods are clean by rinsing under cold water if required. Pat dry with kitchen towel and lay out on a chopping board. Carefully cut the squid hoods in half, lengthways. Lightly score a cross hatch pattern ½ cm apart on each piece and cut each piece into 4.
- Combine the rice flour with the salt, both peppers and Cayenne pepper, if using in a shallow tray. Add the squid pieces and toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites together. Add the squid pieces and coat evenly. Transfer the squid pieces into the flour mix making sure you drain off any excess egg. Toss the squid in the flour so it’s coated.
Fry squid in batches to avoid overcrowding for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to paper towel and season with a little salt. Repeat with remaining squid.
- Combine the sweet chilli sauce, half of lime juice and ginger in a small bowl and mix together. Adjust tanginess of the sauce to taste by adding more lime juice if desired.
- Serve hot with a squeeze of fresh lime and sweet chilli lime dipper on the side.
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Vermentino or Riesling
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 x 230g Coles Finest Sirloin steaks 1 tablespoon Cobram Estate EVOO 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into noodles 2 red shallots (French ), finely sliced ½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves ½ cup...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups leftover cooked rice 2 Spanish chorizo, thickly sliced 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 chicken thigh cutlets, bone in, skin on 2 red onions, thickly sliced 2 large red capsicums,...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x 400g bag Birds Eye Sweet Potato 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium sized chicken breast, trimmed 180g Jalna Lactose Free Greek...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 Coles Ocean Barramundi Fillets, sliced into ‘spoonful size’ pieces 1 Onion, diced 1 Cinnamon Quill 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced 1 birdseye Chilli, sliced lengthways Coriander Stem/root, diced 1 ½...
RECIPE BY: Chef Kinsan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 150g Hakubaku organic soba noodles (cooked) 30g carrot (thinly julienned into long strips) 1 lebanese cucumber (thinly julienned into long strips) ½ cup edamame (cooked and remove beans from pod) 1 handful...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Coles Fettuccini 250g Philadelphia Cream Cheese 100g Coles Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving 1 Brown onion, diced 2 Garlic cloves, diced 125g baby Spinach Salt 1.5 tbsp Pepper ½ bunch parsley,...