Spiced Falafel With Pickled Slaw
4 people 20 Falafel
*Start this recipe the night before
- 250g dried chickpeas
- ½ tsp KEEN’s Chilli Powder
- 2tbsp cumin seeds
- 2tbsp coriander seeds
- 2tsp ground allspice
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 2tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1tbsp plain flour
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- 400ml Cobram Estate Classic Olive Oil for frying
- Hot chili sauce to serve (optional)
- 2 medium raw beetroot, peeled, finely sliced into matchsticks
- 150g red cabbage, cored, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2Tb sugar
- ½ cup ZoOSh Free Range Egg Mayonnaise
- 2Tb plain Greek yoghurt
- Place the dried chickpeas in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the chickpeas and discard the water. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a small frypan over a medium heat for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and crush the seeds into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
- Place the ground spices into a food processor along with all the other falafel ingredients, except the sesame seeds. Blitz until everything has combined to make a rough paste. Be careful not to over blend as you don’t want a paste.
- Form the mixture into tablespoon sized balls, coat with sesame seeds and set aside on a tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Meanwhile combine the beetroot, cabbage, onion and sea salt in a bowl. Leave for 10 minutes for the salt to draw the moisture from the vegetables. Drain any excess liquid away, then add in the vinegar, sugar and stir well. Set aside to pickle.
- Heat the oil to 170 degrees in a saucepan or deep fryer. Make sure the oil is not too hot as the falafel will cook too quickly and not cook through. If the oil is too cool, the falafel will become oil logged. Cook the falafel, in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Mix the mayonnaise and yoghurt together in a bowl.
- To serve, drain the slaw and place onto the base of serving bowls. Top with the warm falafel, drizzle with mayonnaise and scatter over Parsley and chili sauce.
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 x 230g Coles Finest Sirloin steaks 1 tablespoon Cobram Estate EVOO 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into noodles 2 red shallots (French ), finely sliced ½ cup loosely packed coriander leaves ½ cup...
Spanish Chorizo Traybake
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 cups leftover cooked rice 2 Spanish chorizo, thickly sliced 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil 6 chicken thigh cutlets, bone in, skin on 2 red onions, thickly sliced 2 large red capsicums,...
Sweet Potato & Chicken Salad
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 x 400g bag Birds Eye Sweet Potato 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium sized chicken breast, trimmed 180g Jalna Lactose Free Greek...
Fijian Fish Curry
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 Coles Ocean Barramundi Fillets, sliced into ‘spoonful size’ pieces 1 Onion, diced 1 Cinnamon Quill 3 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced 1 birdseye Chilli, sliced lengthways Coriander Stem/root, diced 1 ½...
Japanese Soba Noodle Salad
RECIPE BY: Chef Kinsan SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 150g Hakubaku organic soba noodles (cooked) 30g carrot (thinly julienned into long strips) 1 lebanese cucumber (thinly julienned into long strips) ½ cup edamame (cooked and remove beans from pod) 1 handful...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 500g Coles Fettuccini 250g Philadelphia Cream Cheese 100g Coles Parmesan Cheese, plus more for serving 1 Brown onion, diced 2 Garlic cloves, diced 125g baby Spinach Salt 1.5 tbsp Pepper ½ bunch parsley,...