Spiced Falafel With Pickled Slaw
4 people 20 Falafel
*Start this recipe the night before
- 250g dried chickpeas
- ½ tsp KEEN’s Chilli Powder
- 2tbsp cumin seeds
- 2tbsp coriander seeds
- 2tsp ground allspice
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 2tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1tbsp plain flour
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- 400ml Cobram Estate Classic Olive Oil for frying
- Hot chili sauce to serve (optional)
- 2 medium raw beetroot, peeled, finely sliced into matchsticks
- 150g red cabbage, cored, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2Tb sugar
- ½ cup ZoOSh Free Range Egg Mayonnaise
- 2Tb plain Greek yoghurt
- Place the dried chickpeas in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the chickpeas and discard the water. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a small frypan over a medium heat for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and crush the seeds into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
- Place the ground spices into a food processor along with all the other falafel ingredients, except the sesame seeds. Blitz until everything has combined to make a rough paste. Be careful not to over blend as you don’t want a paste.
- Form the mixture into tablespoon sized balls, coat with sesame seeds and set aside on a tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Meanwhile combine the beetroot, cabbage, onion and sea salt in a bowl. Leave for 10 minutes for the salt to draw the moisture from the vegetables. Drain any excess liquid away, then add in the vinegar, sugar and stir well. Set aside to pickle.
- Heat the oil to 170 degrees in a saucepan or deep fryer. Make sure the oil is not too hot as the falafel will cook too quickly and not cook through. If the oil is too cool, the falafel will become oil logged. Cook the falafel, in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Mix the mayonnaise and yoghurt together in a bowl.
- To serve, drain the slaw and place onto the base of serving bowls. Top with the warm falafel, drizzle with mayonnaise and scatter over Parsley and chili sauce.
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 3 Tbsp Cobram Estate Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 brown onion, finely sliced 150gm Swiss brown mushrooms Salt and pepper 4 spring fresh thyme 100gm baby spinach 60gm Zoosh French Onion Dip 1 Tbsp...
RECIPE BY: Olivia Wells SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 1 cup Coles White Grain Quinoa 2 cups water 1 brown onion, diced 1 Red capsicum, deseeded and diced 1 green capsicum, deseeded and diced 1 tin corn or fresh corn 1 tin black beans 1 head broccoli 1 tin...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 2 red onions, sliced into wedges 4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways 3 parsnips, peeled and halved lengthways 200g Brussel sprouts, halved (or quartered if very large) 3 cloves garlic, peeled and...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 20 large Coles green feta stuffed olives 1 cup plain flour 4 eggs, beaten 4 cups panko breadcrumbs Cobram Estate Light olive oil for deep frying LEMON-HERB MAYONNAISE: ¾ cup ZoOSh whole egg...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 230gm plain flour 1 tsp Bi Carb soda 125ml water 75ml Cobram Estate Classic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary 1 Tbsp Coles fennel seeds Salt METHOD: Set oven to 220C and...
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS: 200g Arborio Rice 1L Massel Liquid Vegetable Stock 1 Onion, diced 2 Garlic Cloves, rougly chopped. 100mLs Chardonnay 150g Peas 150g Green Beans, chopped 150g Snow Peas, chopped 150g Celery, diced 3...