Spiced Falafel With Pickled Slaw
4 people 20 Falafel
*Start this recipe the night before
- 250g dried chickpeas
- ½ tsp KEEN’s Chilli Powder
- 2tbsp cumin seeds
- 2tbsp coriander seeds
- 2tsp ground allspice
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup coriander, chopped
- 2tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- 1tbsp plain flour
- ½ cup white sesame seeds
- 400ml Cobram Estate Classic Olive Oil for frying
- Hot chili sauce to serve (optional)
- 2 medium raw beetroot, peeled, finely sliced into matchsticks
- 150g red cabbage, cored, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2Tb sugar
- ½ cup ZoOSh Free Range Egg Mayonnaise
- 2Tb plain Greek yoghurt
- Place the dried chickpeas in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight.
- The next day, drain the chickpeas and discard the water. Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a small frypan over a medium heat for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Remove from the heat and crush the seeds into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
- Place the ground spices into a food processor along with all the other falafel ingredients, except the sesame seeds. Blitz until everything has combined to make a rough paste. Be careful not to over blend as you don’t want a paste.
- Form the mixture into tablespoon sized balls, coat with sesame seeds and set aside on a tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Meanwhile combine the beetroot, cabbage, onion and sea salt in a bowl. Leave for 10 minutes for the salt to draw the moisture from the vegetables. Drain any excess liquid away, then add in the vinegar, sugar and stir well. Set aside to pickle.
- Heat the oil to 170 degrees in a saucepan or deep fryer. Make sure the oil is not too hot as the falafel will cook too quickly and not cook through. If the oil is too cool, the falafel will become oil logged. Cook the falafel, in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Drain on kitchen towel.
- Mix the mayonnaise and yoghurt together in a bowl.
- To serve, drain the slaw and place onto the base of serving bowls. Top with the warm falafel, drizzle with mayonnaise and scatter over Parsley and chili sauce.
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 2 - 4 people INGREDIENTS : 300gm raw banana prawns, cleaned, chopped into 2cm pieces 130gm raw chorizo, peeled 200gm fettuccine 1 Tbsp. Cobram Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced ¼ cup toasted pine nuts 1/3 cup...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 4 - 6 people INGREDIENTS : 1 cup cooked red quinoa seeds 1 medium bulb fennel, finely sliced-fronds reserved for garnish 1 can brown lentils, drained and rinsed 2 cups baby rocket leaves 2Tb lemon juice 2Tb Cobram Estate...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 4 people INGREDIENTS : ¼ cup Cobram Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 tin Coles brown lentils, drained and rinsed 1 Litre Massel liquid Vegetable Stock 4 cloves garlic, grated 1 tsp. KEEN’s Curry Powder ½ KEEN’s Chilli Powder 1 Tsp....
RECIPE BY: Michael Weldon SERVING SIZE: 4 people INGREDIENTS : 1 x packet of Coles Finest Lamb Sausages 1 large Brown onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, diced 2tbs KEEN’s Curry Powder 1tbs Cumin powder 2 sprigs of Curry leaf 1 tin of Ardmona Chopped Tomatoes 1 fresh...
RECIPE BY: Courtney Roulston SERVING SIZE: 6 - 8 people INGREDIENTS : 1 whole kent pumpkin, around 2/ 2.5kg 1/3 cup (80ml) cobram olive oil 1 brown onion, diced 2 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 cups curly kale, stems removed, finely chopped 2/3 cup...
RECIPE BY: Matt Sinclair SERVING SIZE: 6 people INGREDIENTS: 500gm King prawns, peeled and cleaned 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped 1 egg white 1 tsp. white sugar 1 tsp. Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil 1 tsp. Lee Kum Kee Premium...